Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Review of Frea-capped (DVD and Gimmicks) by Kieron Johnson


At times, I look at a marketed effect and say to myself, “what?” It’s not that I was fooled or bewildered, but I just can’t wrap my mind around the practicality or entertainment value of an effect.

There’s an old adage/joke about magicians that says, “how does he do it? why does he do it?” This is the case with the oddly named “Frea-capped.” (If there’s a pun or hidden meaning with the name, I just don’t get it.)

To Recap
“Frea-capped” is a gimmicked Sharpie marker that allows you to perform one fast effect. You uncap the Sharpie and stick the pen and cap into your mouth – side-by-side and with both protruding from your mouth. You slowly turn around 360-degrees and when you once again face your audience, the marker has somehow re-capped itself.

You can watch the marker in action through a video at the Murphy’s Magic site here.

Good Pen
The gimmicked Sharpie works just as advertised (yes, I stuck the pen and cap in my mouth and tried it). One thought, with the gimmick that I reviewed, I had to stick the pen into my mouth further than I cared to. The kit comes with materials so you can fix the Sharpie should it break, as well as gimmick other pens of your choosing. 

The accompanying DVD offers various handlings to ring in the gimmicked Sharpie after using a real marker to sign a card or other task. You can’t allow spectators to examine the Frea-capped Sharpie and you can’t use it to write with.

Worthiness?
I truly don’t see the worth of this effect and even if it plays, I think that there are other fast effects that rely on sleight of hand that will potentially get the same or stronger reactions. How about a vanishing and reappearing Sharpie using a famous move to vanish wands? (I do this and it gets great reactions.) Or how about a quick thimble-style vanish and reappearance with the cap on a fingertip?

Why am I so negative? I hate close-up effects where I turn away from my spectators and stick things in my mouth during performance (and in my restaurants at gigs?). You can watch the video and decide for yourself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment